CBD dog treats are fast gaining popularity among dog owners. This post examines their pros and cons in comparison with traditional treats.
Treats and medications are necessary for your dog’s health and overall well-being. But the last two decades have seen a steady shift in how dog owners treat their dogs. Cannabis-based solutions are gaining the favor of millions of dog owners who want their canine friends to get their deserved CBD share. They sample CBD treats and other medications to boost their pets’ health.
But why are pet owners resorting to this natural remedy? Most of them seek safer alternatives to traditional pet medications because of their many adverse side effects. For instance, some conventional medications damage the dog’s kidneys and liver. Thus, it’s not surprising that pet parents want to give their dogs potent and safer remedies when dealing with chronic pain and other medical conditions.
This post examines the pros and cons of using traditional medications versus CBD dog treats. It shares some of the adverse side effects of traditional medications that make dog owners seek safer, natural alternatives like CBD. You will also learn more about CBD’s overall safety and efficacy as a worthy alternative. Remain on this page to learn more and make informed choices to boost your dog’s health.
CBD, or cannabinoid, is one of the primary cannabis compounds. Unlike its sister THC, this compound doesn’t get people or dogs “high.” Manufacturers use it to make dog supplements that come in different forms. CBD interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS). This system regulates essential body functions like sleep, pain, appetite, and emotions. The ECS exists in all mammals, making dogs equal beneficiaries of CBD’s impact.
Your dog can enjoy CBD in different forms. Some of these forms include the following:
- Oil and tinctures. You can give your dog its fair CBD share through tinctures and oil. This option is an easy way of administering CBD. You can mix oil and tinctures in dog food or directly drop them in the dog’s mouth. Some dogs don’t like the oil taste; thus, combining it with something yummy is a better way of encouraging them to consume the treat. Fortunately, savvy manufacturers add sweet flavors to oils to make them more palatable.
- You can administer CBD to your dog as capsules, making it easy to hide it in a treat and give your canine pet.
- Your canine pet can also enjoy CBD in the form of treats. You can get more information about dog treats at https://askgrowers.com/cbd/cbd-dog-treats.
CBD dog treats have gained tremendous popularity among dog owners over the last few years. But what are its health benefits for your furry friends? This section examines some of its health benefits, as discussed below.
- It relieves anxiety and stress. Dogs suffer from stress and anxiety just like humans. They can become nervous when separated from their owners, hear loud noises, or are in strange locations and situations. Thankfully, CBD reduces stress and anxiety symptoms because of its impact on the ECS, which regulates mood. CBD interacts with this system to calm the stress hormone, naturally relieving anxiety.
- CBD reduces pain and inflammation. Dogs also suffer from inflammation and chronic pain. Fortunately, CBD relieves and reduces dog pain and inflammation. Its interaction with CB2 receptors, which regulate pain and inflammation, soothes your dog’s aching body, improving its overall quality of life.
- It supports joint health and mobility. Joint problems, such as arthritis, are common in dogs, especially as they age. CBD has been found to reduce inflammation and pain associated with arthritis, improving joint health and mobility. CBD can also help protect joint cartilage from damage. By incorporating CBD dog treats into your dog’s diet, you may be able to reduce joint pain and inflammation, allowing them to live a more active life.
- CBD improves sleep quality. Sleep is crucial in a dog’s life the way it’s in yours. Dogs experience sleep challenges when in pain or anxiety. CBD helps reduce this problem by directly interacting with the ECS regulating sleep. This way, your dog can rest well and for long. Results? You have a healthy dog because it gets quality sleep that refreshes and rejuvenates its body and brain.
- It promotes overall wellness. Your dog’s overall well-being matters. CBD is vital when you want to improve your pet’s overall wellness. It works by reducing pain, inflammation, and anxiety. It also supports your dog’s immunity, again due to its impact on the ECS, which controls the body’s defense.
You can also expect more benefits for your dog through enhanced cognitive processes, reducing the risk of health complications like cancer and seizures. This way, you can rest assured of having a happy, healthy dog.
Cons and Potential Side Effects
We start by establishing that CBD is harmless for animals and humans. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), CBD is generally safe. Moreover, it doesn’t seem to have adverse side effects even if misused; it also possesses clinically proven medicinal benefits.
Other published studies have proved that CBD has no noticeable negative side effects on dogs, even after long-term consumption. A few dog owners who administered it to their dogs for the long term reported a slight increase in liver enzyme (ALT). All these dog owner reports come amidst many adverse side effects dogs suffer after using most conventional chronic pain medications.
Thus, research offers a promising future for dog owners who may want to use CBD to treat chronic pain relief and seizures. However, it would be best if you took safety precautions when administering CBD treats and medications. Below are the suggestions:
- First, consult a veterinarian before administering CBD to your dog for the first time. This way, you will be better positioned to determine a safe starting point and regimen for your pet.
- Follow your manufacturer’s dosage recommendations, such as those based on pet size and the health condition you are trying to address.
- Don’t give CBD products to dogs with existing liver damage without consulting your vet.
- Always use due diligence and research every CBD product before choosing it for your dog.
Traditional Dog Medications
CBD supplements and treats are joining a market dominated by many traditional medications for many decades. Here is a list of some of the most common dog medications for treating different conditions.
- Thismedication has DFA approval for animals, but it’s usually used to treat Giardia infection.
- This drug is usually prescribed along with metronidazole to relieve stomach upsets.
- The drug usually treats acute allergy symptoms in animals.
- The medication helps treat anxiety and other chronic allergies.
- This drug usually relieves dog pain.
- The medication is used to treat inflammation in animals and is an immunosuppressant.
- This drug is used to treat various fungal infections in dogs.
- Hydrogen peroxide 3%. This medication is an emergency emetic. You can also use it to gently massage your dog’s belly and encourage it to move around.
- This drug is used to treat many bacterial infections in dogs.
- The drug is usually used to treat acute gastrointestinal distress and other GI ulcers.
So, what are some of the cons and adverse side effects of using the above drugs? There are pretty many adverse reactions dogs manifest in response to chemical medications. For instance, antibiotics save dog lives but also have numerous side effects. So, why do vets prescribe them for dogs? In most cases, their advantages outweigh their potential risks. Generally, antibiotics cause the following adverse side effects in dogs:
- Swollen face or muzzle.
- Microbial imbalance.
- Dilated pupils.
- Head tilted to one side.
- Involuntary rapid eye movements.
- Drunken gait.
- Reduced appetite.
- Irregular heartbeat.
- Muscle spasm.
- Yeast infections.
- Allergic reactions, especially hives or rash. Rarely, some dogs may experience difficulty breathing and anaphylactic shock.
The last two decades have lifted the lid of cannabis and opened the eyes of American dog owners to consider it a safe alternative to conventional medications. This post examined some of the reasons making pet owners shift their focus to CBD as a safe, natural alternative.
Now you know the benefits of CBD treats and other products for your dog when you use them correctly according to the manufacturer’s guidelines and understand the safe way to administer CBD to your canine pet. We hope you will use this information to make an informed decision that improves your dog’s overall wellness and quality of life.