Netflix has grown from just being a DVD rental service to one of the most popular streaming websites. It has a huge library of movies, series, TV shows, and documentaries.
Netflix began in 1997 as a rental service for DVDs which it still does to date. Since then, many reforms have been made, which have resulted in it ranking among the top streaming platforms on the internet. Netflix features some of the most recognized films, movies, series, TV shows, and documentaries.
It is one of the most popular streaming services that most age groups are familiar with. With its reforms, Netflix developers developed an algorithm recognizing user-watching preferences.
Therefore, Netflix users get suggestions on similar movies to what they have already watched. Therefore, if you love film streaming, Netflix should be at the top of your list.
Impressive Netflix Statistics
- 90% of popular original series on the platform are from Netflix production.
- As of the first quarter of 2022, it had over 221 million paid subscribers
- In 2021, Netflix attained a streaming revenue of $30 billion.
- Between September and December 2021, there was the production of 129 films by Netflix.
- Most of the Netflix subscribers in the world are from the US.
- Netflix had an operating profit of $5.1 billion in 2021.
- Most people consider streaming through Netflix more than watching cable TV.
- In 2010, Netflix only had 530 TV shows; today, it has over 2100 TV shows.
- Netflix’s subscribers spend an average of 3.2 hours per day watching from the platform.
- The Netflix iOS & Android app was downloaded over 16.4 million times in June 2021 alone.
Netflix Usage Statistics
1. In the first quarter of 2022, subscribers decreased by 200,000.
There was a drastic decrease of 200,000 Netflix subscribers in 2022. Due to COVID-19 in 2020, the year recorded a drastic increase in subscribers. Therefore, the drastic decrease in 2022 from 2021 is a bit alarming.
2. 90% of the most popular original series on the platform are produced by Netflix.
Most of Netflix’s original series are popular on the platform. Netflix has a lot of potential in the film world.
Netflix also hosts other films, movies, documentaries, TV shows, and series from independent producers, but theirs rank better.
3. In 2018, Netflix was one of the most-watched platforms.
In 2018, Netflix had an average viewing time of 23.2 minutes daily. In 2019, users spent about 2 hours per day watching Netflix. 2020 led to an increase in viewership of up to 61%.
It is estimated that in 2020, users streamed about 3.2 hours per day on Netflix in the US. Therefore, you can only imagine the kind of traffic it gets from all over the world.
According to some recent findings, it is estimated that 25.6% of Americans share their Netflix accounts with relatives and friends. Luckily, Netflix is aware that some users share accounts.
5. Over 71% of Netflix content is streamed through TV
It is estimated that most people prefer to stream Netflix content through TV. However, some people still prefer using other devices like mobile phones, tablets, or laptops while on the go.
6. 2 out of 5 Netflix subscribers prefer using a VPN while streaming Netflix
Netflix has some region-specific movies, films, documentaries, and TV shows. Therefore, people prefer using VPNs to bypass these restrictions. Almost 40% of Netflix users use a VPN to view certain content.
However, once Netflix detects the use of a VPN, you will only be shown content that is available in your region.
Netflix User Statistics
7. Netflix is accessible in over 190 countries
Netflix is one of the most popular streaming platforms, with accessibility in over 190 countries. The countries it isn’t highly supported are North Korea, Syria, China, and others places.
8. As of April 2022, Netflix had more than 221 million subscribers.
In the first quarter of 2022, Netflix had more than 221 million subscribers. However, the number decreased by 200,000 compared to the last quarter of 2021.
Netflix continues to grow in different aspects, even though the decrease may have been caused by a reduction in remote working.
Year Subscribers 2011 21.5 million 2012 25.71 million 2013 35.63 million 2014 47.99 million 2015 62.71 million 2016 79.9 million 2017 99.04 million 2018 124.35 million 2019 151.56 million 2020 192.95 million 2021 209 million 2022 221 million
9. The median age of Netflix’s core subscription is between 35 and 44 years
In 2015, most Netflix subscribers were youth between 18 – 34 years. However, as of now, generation X and millennials form the bigger percentage.
Surprisingly, even subscribers between 34 and 65 are on the increase.
10. 52% of Netflix subscribers are female, while 48%are male.
It is estimated that 52% of Netflix subscribers are female, and 48% are male. This accounts for all age groups.
11. As of 2021, Netflix’s revenue reached around $30 billion.
As of 2021, Netflix’s revenue had reached $30 billion. This was an increase from $1.67 billion back in 2009. Each year, there is an increase in the revenue that Netflix gets. This shows how the platform is doing so well.
- 2011 – $3.1billion
- 2012 – $3.5 billion
- 2013 – $4.3 billion
- 2014 – $5.4 billion
- 2015 – $6.7 billion
- 2016 – $8.8 billion
- 2017 – $11.6 billion
- 2018 – $15.7 billion
- 2019 – $20.1 billion
- 2020 – $24.9 billion
- 2021 – $30 billion
12. The US and Canada are one of the largest contributors to Netflix.
By April 2022, the US and Canada accounted for $3.3 million of the total Netflix revenue. This shows how much users in the area prefer using Netflix as their streaming service rather than cable TV.
However, between 2020 and 2021, Netflix lost about 30% of the US market share, which had a slight impact on them.
13. It is estimated that Netflix will have a penetration rate of 62% in North America by 2025.
It is estimated that Netflix will have a penetration rate of about 62% by 2025. This shows how people are willingly embracing the streaming platform in the US and other countries of the world.
14. In the third quarter of 2021, Netflix produced over 129 original titles.
From June to August 2021, Netflix produced 129 original films, shows, movies, and documentaries. This shows the potential that Netflix has in ensuring the platform’s growth. Netflix spent about 17 billion on content in 2021.
15. 82% of people prefer streaming online rather than watching cable TV
Most people who love streaming online prefer it to watching normal cable TV. However, there is still some percentage of people who consider cable TV more entertaining.
16. As of 2021, Netflix earned about $200 million from the DVD rental service
As of 2021, it is estimated that Netflix earned over $200 million from the DVD rental service. Netflix started as a DVD rental service and still makes from the venture.
However, its revenue from DVD rental service seems to be stagnant with no significant increase.
Net Spending and streaming Statistics
17. As of 2021, Netflix had spent about $17 billion on content
As of 2021, it is estimated that Netflix has spent about $17 billion on content. This is a drastic increase from the previous years.
Year Money spent on content 2016 $6.6 billion 2017 $8.91 billion 2018 $12 billion 2019 $13.9 billion 2020 $11.8 billion 2021 $17 billion
18. Netflix is one of the most popular streaming services
Netflix is one of the most popular streaming services in the US. It is followed closely by YouTube, Hulu, Prime Video, Disney+ and other streaming sites. Netflix also has over 3600 movies and 1800 TV shows.
19. 41% of Netflix users watch without paying
Over 41% of Netflix users watch without paying due to password and account sharing. Friends account for about 18%, while family members account for the biggest percentage. However, in March 2022, Netflix announced plans to stop password sharing.
20. In 2021, it is estimated that Netflix used about $2.2 billion on research and development
As of 2021, it is estimated that Netflix spent about $2.2 billion on research and development. Netflix tends to use the money to research how to improve the platform and provide better shows.
Netflix History Statistics
21. Netflix struggled during its early years
As much as Netflix seems successful, it struggled during its early years. During the Series A funding round, Netflix just got about $2 million; however, during its Series E funding, it earned about $50 million.
Even during the struggling years, Netflix incorporated more technology than its competitors.
22. Netflix was among the first among its competitors to be available on the app.
Among its competitors, Netflix was among the first streaming services available on the app. Netflix moved from just being accessible in web browsers to also being able to be streamed on Xbox 360, PS3, and smart TVs.
It was then available on mobile devices and other gaming platforms.
23. Netflix has played a huge part in the increase in streaming
The increase in streaming has led to some streaming wars. This can be associated with Netflix due to its dominance and production of original films.
Netflix Popular Movies And Shows Statistics
24. As of 2021, “Clueless” was the most popular Netflix film, while “13 reasons why” was the most popular TV series
According to findings, “Clueless” was one of the most popular Netflix movies. “13 reasons why” turned out to be the most popular TV series. However, popularity changes over time.
25. It is estimated that new Netflix account users have watched around 49 days worth of content.
Many Netflix users start using the platform immediately. This shows how much people invest in watching films, movies, series, and documentaries once they create an account.
26. As of 2019, it is estimated that Netflix users spent about 164 million hours per day watching.
According to findings, it was found that Netflix users worldwide spent around 164 million hours per day watching. This shows how enticing Netflix shows are.
According to a May 2020 survey, it was seen that more than 55 % of Netflix subscribers were willing to pay more for the service. This was an increase from 47% in 2019.
27. Netflix had paid around $300 million to stream Disney’s content
Before the release of Disney +, it is estimated that Netflix had paid around $300 million to stream Disney content. Disney in return used the revenue to build its service. In Disney, people can easily stream marvel and Disney movies.
28. As of October 2022, Netflix had over 17,000 titles globally.
In 2018, Netflix had about 15,400 titles, which increased to 17,000 by October 2022. It is estimated that the titles will continue to increase.
Additionally, it is estimated that Netflix’s personalized recommendation engine is worth more than $1 billion per year. Many Netflix users prefer to watch based on the recommendations offered by the algorithm.
29. In just 10 days, 34 million viewers tuned to watch “Tiger King”
After the release of Tiger King, more than 34 million viewers tuned in to watch it. Its popularity mainly happened due to social media. Many memes appeared that built the curiosity to watch the film.
30. Red Notice is one of the most-watched Netflix mobile
Red Notice is one of the most-watched Netflix movies, while Squid Games is one of the most-watched non-English TV shows on Netflix. On the other hand, Grey’s Anatomy is one of the longest-running series available on Netflix.
Netflix Worth And Maintenance Statistics
31 As of October 2022, Netflix was worth over $105 billion
As of October 2022, it is estimated that Netflix is worth over $105 billion. This shows a rapid increase from the previous years. However, this is a decrease from 6 months earlier when its market cap was at $160 million.
32. As of 2022, Slovakia has the largest Netflix library
It is estimated that Slovakia has the largest Netflix library. As of October 2022, it had over 7,990 titles. Pakistan also offers the best Netflix deal which is Liechtenstein’s Netflix library being one of the least cost-effective.
33. Netflix employs around 11,300 workers
Netflix has around 11,300 employees. In 2020, Netflix added over 1900 new employees to make the company more viable.
Netflix Talent growth and Popularity Statistics
34. Netflix pays comedians millions of dollars to produce stand-up performances
It is estimated that Netflix pays some comedians like Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle to produce stand-up performances to draw in subscribers.
35. Netflix offers content in 60 languages
Netflix offers content in over 60 languages. In 2017, the company massively outsourced people to cater to translation needs.
36. Netflix’s subscribers have at least 6 shows they watch in common
It is estimated that all Netflix subscribers have at least 6 shows they watch in common. This is great showing how much Netflix users have similar interests which is a unifying factor.
Netflix Market Growth Statistics
As of 2021, Netflix stock’s market price was $504.20 per share. These stocks gave investors a return of3,726.2% in 10 years. This has made it one of the best performing.
38. Netflix’s subscribers pay about $11.56 monthly for the service.
As of now, Netflix subscribers pay about $11.56 per month for the service. This is 40% less than it was 10 years ago when it was $20 per subscriber.
The company used to spend around $48 to acquire new customers. However, nowadays, people join Netflix willingly without any issues.
Stream Movies And TV Shows On Netflix Effortlessly
Netflix is one of the best platforms that you can use to stream movies, series, documentaries, and TV shows effortlessly. You won’t have to think about how you will utilize your free time. Netflix is readily available for use.
You simply need to choose the right subscription and start watching on your preferred device. Netflix is anticipated to continue growing rapidly.