If you are a gamer, then you probably have a PlayStation console. You can also consider having the Xbox and Nintendo Switch consoles. These are some noteworthy statistics about PlayStation.
PlayStation is a video game console that was developed by Sony. The first PlayStation was released in 1994, followed by PlayStation 2 in 2000, PlayStation 3 in 2006, PlayStation 4 in 2013, and PlayStation 5 in 2020.
The graphic quality kept being improved in each of the new console versions. Additionally, games encoded on CD-ROMs allowed faster load times, improved graphic user interfaces, and richer visual environments.
PlayStation has some noteworthy competitors such as Xbox and Nintendo consoles. Fortunately, PlayStation is a dominant video game system that consists of home video game consoles, two handhelds, a media center, and a smartphone.
There are some noteworthy statistics about PlayStation:
Impressive PlayStation Statistics
- PlayStation 2 is one of the best-selling Sony consoles with over 157.7 million units sold.
- A PS4 user is estimated to have at least 9.6 games.
- In 2013, Sony sold over 9.8 million consoles.
- By March 2021, Sony had sold over 7.8 million PS5 consoles.
- After the invention of the PS4, 7.6 million units were sold in the first five months.
- It is estimated that over 67.3 million PS5s will be sold by December 2024.
- By January 2020, the PlayStation VR sold over 5 million units.
- PlayStation holds about 66.7% of the global console market followed by Xbox and Nintendo.
- Over 2800 games were made for the PlayStation console.
- PlayStation 4 is a successful console of the generation.
PlayStation Consoles Sales Statistics
1. PlayStation 2 is one of the best-selling Sony consoles of all time.
PlayStation 2 is one of the best-selling consoles of all time. Over 157.7 million PS2 units have been sold.
It is followed closely by PS4, original PS, and PS3. This shows how the other versions thrive well.
2. 2013 was one of the best years in which 9.8 million consoles got sold in a quarter of the year.
In most cases, Sony tends to sell more PlayStation consoles in the third quarter of the year. This trend has been there since 2011.
In 2013, more than 9.8 million game consoles got sold in a quarter of the year.
3. More than 7.8 million PS5 consoles got sold at the end of March 2021.
Between January and March 2021, over 7.8 million PS5 consoles had been sold. This shows a tremendous adoption of the gaming console. By January 2020, more than 18 million PS5s had been sold.
The demand is high, but the company tries to manage it. This shows the positive adoption of video game consoles.
There are predictions that over 67.3 million PS5s will have been sold by 2024. This is because how people are actively adopting video game playing.
4. PS4 sold over 7.6 million units in the first five months.
In the first five months after the PS4 invention, over 7.6 million units were sold. In the same timeframe over 7.8 million units had been sold.
This shows how gaming consoles are gaining popularity. The demand is high even though at times the supply may be a bit slow.
5. More than 5 million units of PlayStation Virtual Reality headsets were sold by January 2020.
Sony tends to provide sales figures for its different products. By January 2020, over 5 million units of PlayStation VR headsets had been sold.
In 2017, 2 million had been sold, 3 million in 2018, 4 million by 2019, and 5 million by the start of 2020. That was a tremendous achievement.
6. In 2020, PlayStation generated over $25.4 billion in revenue
Sony got roughly $20.8 billion in 2018. By 2020, the company got a revenue of $25 billion from its sales.
The game and network services are Sony’s most lucrative section followed by electronics and financial services.
PlayStation Gaming Consoles Popularity Statistics
7. The PlayStation Plus subscribers grew from 6.1 million in 2020-2021.
During the 2020 pandemic, people needed to find alternative ways that they could use to divert their minds.
However, at that same time, many people still managed to subscribe to the PlayStation Plus membership. The number increased by 6.1 million in that same year. This shows how people are consistent on the membership benefits.
It is estimated that PlayStation Plus has over 47 million subscribers.
8. Most PS4 consoles got sold in Europe.
Over 47 million PS4 consoles got sold in Europe in 2020. The other PlayStation 4 console market is North America, Japan, and the rest of the world. This showed a tremendous increase in how people adapted to using the PlayStation consoles.
It is also estimated that Sony sold an average of 1.1 million units of PS4 each month since its launch. Over 100 million units had been sold by early 2019.
Additionally, in 2020, Sony sold over 34.9 million PS3 units in Europe.
9. PlayStation’s consoles are popular with a 66.6% percentage on the global market.
PlayStation gaming consoles are popular gaining a 66.6% range on the global market. Xbox consoles come second with 33.29% and Nintendo Switch garners the remaining percentage. PlayStation and Xbox are the most popular consoles of all time.
PlayStation Games Statistics
10. Horizon Zero Dawn is a popular game on PS4.
The Horizon Zero Dawn game for PS4 was made in the Netherlands for $57.3 million. It has already sold over 10 million copies which has made it earn some cash for Sony and the developers. Up to now, the game has made more than $400 million which is 8x the amount used to make it.
11. More than 2800 games were made for the PlayStation 1 console.
More than 2800 games were made for the PlayStation 1 console. This is what made it gain popularity fast. One popular game was Gran Turismo which is a racing game that has had over 10.8 million units sold over time.
12. Marvel’s Spider-Man game has had over 20 million sold copies.
As per 2021 reports, Marvel Spider-Man had sales of over 20 million copies.
It is followed closely by Grand Theft Auto V, Uncharted 4: Thief’s End, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, Red Dead Redemption, and Call of Duty: WWII.
PlayStation User Statistics
13. The average number of games a PS4 user has is around 9.6 games.
It is estimated that an average PS4 user has around 9.6 games. It is estimated that Sony sold over 876 million PS4 games and over 91.6 million units at the end of 2018. Most of the popular games are e-sports. This shows tremendous growth.
14. There are over 110 PlayStation users globally.
It is estimated that PlayStation has over 110 million active users. 2020, registered the highest number of active users at 114 million. In 2014, there were only like 50 million users.
15. There are over 3.2 million PlayStation Now subscribers
In 2019, the company reported one million paid subscribers. However, after cutting down the prices, the company added more games which led to an increase in subscribers in the same year. By 2021, the number had increased again reaching 3.2 million subscribers.
Plantation Demographics Statistics
16. It is estimated that 40% of PlayStation gamers are female.
It is estimated that about 40% of PlayStation gamers are female, making 60 % of them male. During PlayStation 1 launch, only 18% were women and girls, but the number of users tripled with the consequent releases of PS5. This increase also relies on the fact that there has been an increase in female characters.
17. Most PS4 and PS5 players are in their 30s.
It is estimated that most of the PS4 and PS5 players are in their 30s. It shows that most of the users are between 31 and 36 years old.
The first PlayStation 1, had players between the ages of 13 and 18 years. This shows that the PlayStation players have stayed loyal since their invention years.
PlayStation Invention Statistics
18. The first PlayStation console was released in 1994.
The first PlayStation console was released in 1994 in Japan. It then spread to the international market. Sony tried to produce a new console after every 6 years or so. It has various subscriptions like PS Now and PS Plus.
19. Sony’s first PlayStation sold more than 100 million units.
By 2005, PlayStation had been able to ship over 100 million units. Sony then managed to sell over 104.25 million PlayStation units. Over 155 million PlayStation 2 units were sold for PS2 and 87.4 million units for PS3.
Before the launch of PS4, over 1 million people had pre-ordered it. It is also shown that more than 1.3 million units of PS5 were sold in a single day. This was first in the US, Canada Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and South Korea. The console then became available in the rest of the world.
20. It is estimated that over 4,000 old-generation games can be played on PS5
There are over 4000 games from the previous PlayStation versions that can be played on PS5. PS5 is compatible with most games making it among the best – this applies to both digital and physical game copies. PlayStation has had 5 major consoles over time.
21. The PlayStation 5 has 8x more power than PS4
It is estimated that PlayStation 5 had 8x more power than PS4. However, it is just two times more powerful than PS4 Pro. However, all the PlayStation consoles are powerful and get upgraded with each new version.
Enjoy The Best Games On PlayStation.
PlayStation is one of the best video gaming consoles of all time. It has grown to become popular over time. Also, many people prefer playing video games to make them relax and feel at ease.
All the PlayStation versions have unique features and each new version comes with more power. Therefore, if you are into video gaming, you need to at least have a PlayStation console. All the best as you play the best game on PlayStation.